Wednesday, September 8, 2010

kids

last week as we were waiting for our oldest son's football game to start, a young boy about 7 years old approached.  he was throwing a football in the air as he asked our second son if he wanted to play. without hesitation and a shrug of his shoulders came the reply, "sure." off they went to play football for the next two hours.


this situation happens almost everywhere we go: in line at the grocery store, the park, church functions...where ever we go my children can find a best friend.  they don't care what they look like, where they go to school, what kind of house they live in.  all my boys want is for someone about their same age to play with.


as i watch this scenario play its self out again last saturday,  i have reflected on what a different world this would be if we could all just be more child-like.  here's some things i have obsevered while watching the children around me, that if put into practice, can make our lives better.  here we go!

  • kids don't judge.  they will love you and be your best friend just because you're YOU.
  • kids forgive (and forget) easily.  they don't hold grudges.  if they get mad or upset, just wait a few minutes and everything will be right in the world again.
  • kids are curious...and therefore ask questions.  i have kids ask me all the time why i'm in a wheelchair and it's the adults around them that shush them or hurry them along.  it's not like my chair is a secret!  i love to explain to them what happened and to teach them about the imporatnce of wearing a seat belt. could we improve our lives be asking questions when we're curious?  how many misunderstandings or disagreements could be avoided if we would simply humble ourselves and ask the things that are on our mind?
  • kids live in the moment.  they dance like no one watching, try new things without fear,  and tell you what they're thinking.  they jump in puddles, do somersaults in the grass, and get dirty without a second thought that they might be wearing their good shoes.   now as adults we know that this isn't always appropriate, once-in-a-while it's great to not worry or care what others might think.  act a little goofy, be a little silly and live in the moment! 


i know i've thought once or twice that kids have too much energy.  if i could figure out how to bottle that energy and then sell it, i could have the chance at the title "richest person on earth".   since i'm not sure how to do that, i figure i can incorporate some of the other strengths i've observed in kids into my life so i can become a just little bit richer anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading your blog, Stephanie! You have great insights and a fun, easy way of expressing yourself. You are going to do GREAT at this new opportunity in your life!! Im cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for being my cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ana White announced on Facebook that we should visit your blog and see the bed you made! I'm so glad I did! I totally agree about children. The thing I wish I could bottle is how funny and kind my kids can be. I have sent them over to hang out sad people and sick people because I'm convinced those boys can heal just with their funny little personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great points, Stephanie! I always say that if the world could have just a little bit of what's inside my Maddy (my 10YO child w/CP...non-verbal), the world would be such a happier place! She's glad to be alive. She's silly. She loves life!

    ReplyDelete