Friday, September 17, 2010

try

the absolute love of my life up to the age of 16 was dance.  i loved to dance.  tap, jazz ballet, modern, and clogging were all types of dance i enjoyed doing.  i also enjoyed playing the piano.  two months after my 16th birthday my life changed dramatically.  i was in a car accident in which my neck was broken, my spinal cord was damaged and i was left a quadriplegic.  so not only was i unable to dance, i wasn't able to play the piano either.  (i still can pick out any song and play it with one finger...my kids are amazed at this feat!)

although i still get the urge at times to jump up and dance, i've found other loves in my life.  i love to cook and bake.  trying new recipes and tweaking them to my liking makes me happy. i feel very blessed  in two aspects in this area:  i have a kitchen that has been designed and built around my needs (being "wheelchair steph" and all!) and i have the use of my thumb on my right hand.  this enables me to use knives (a scary thought, i know.), to hold pans or bowls, to stir, turn on the stove or oven,  and use a mixer.  while some things turn out better than others, my husband said have never cooked him anything inedible in 17 years.  what a great complement!  come over sometime and i'll whip you up something tasty....

another love is crafting.  i love to create things.  after my accident i wasn't sure if i would be able to cross stitch, which i liked to do before. i figured out how to do it again, even with the compromised use of my hands.  i like other types of needlework too.  with the niffty knitter loom, i can knit hats for my kids.  my friend candace has enabled me to make wood crafts--she cuts the wood out with a variety of different saws (i am so grounded from power saws--just think about that for a minute and you'll know why...if you can't figure it out here's a hint:  my license plate says "oops"!) anyway, i love to paint the creations she cuts out i.e., pumpkins, snowmen, ornaments, nativity scenes, stars, flags.  i usually have something fun on my porch we've made together.

about 6 or 7 months ago i found the best website!  a lady named ana white post plans and instructions on how to make furniture--the kind of furniture i love but never want to pay the out-of-control prices charged. (check out her blog at www.ana-white.com you'll love it!) i'm not sure what came over me, but since my 3 year old needed to get out of her crib, i decided i wanted to make her a bed.  yes, a bed.  i probably should have started my furniture making adventure on something a bit smaller, but she needed a bed!


the major problem i have is that, while my right thumb works and is strong, my left thumb is very weak.  i can't hold a nail to hammer, so how am i going to build a bed?  i found a new love in my life:  it's called an auto hammer and it's f.a.n.t.a.s.t.i.c.  that's all i wanted for my birthday, and being a good husband who listened, that's what my sweetheart got me for my birthday.




so with use of my new tool i hammered away building the headboard and footboard.  i also learned how to use a drill to countersink the screws, i used a sander (i learned i needed to sand MORE than i did), i painted the bed (not sure i'm in love with the color, but it's o.k.) and with a little help here and there--attaching the posts to the head board and assembling all the parts when i was done--i actually built a bed for my daughter. 

sometimes in life we need all we need to do is TRY.  we need leave our comfort zone to try things that sometimes seem impossible or scary or maybe a little crazy.  how do we know if we can do it until we try?  i didn't know if i could do anything with my new life until i tried, including a simple thing like feeding myself or something a bit more challenging...like building a bed for my daughter.

44 comments:

  1. wow!!! AMAZING GIRL! I love your ambition. So did you save all kinds of money? If you dont mind me asking, what was the total cost involved and how many hours? I love that blog as well...but I am afraid to take the plunge and start a project! We need to be neighbors still :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SICK. and by sick I mean totally and udderly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. julie--i think the total cost was around $150, but i have nails and screws and extra wood to use on other projects. as far as how long, i don't know because it got cold and i didn't go out for a long time. i don't think it would take more than a week depending on how you are at focusing!! :] i wish you were still my neighbor too! and as for starting a project, go or it! it's not hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Job Stephanie! You are the bomb! I'm so impressed I'm gonna do some braggin' about you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that she did! ;) I got your blog link through Crafty Sisters. Facebook site!
    I too like Ana's site, and I have my fist project picked out. How was the automatic hammer? I totally stink at hammering through hardwood, but haven't saved up enough for a compressor and nail gun. Do you think you could write a post about specifics with this tool, like what kind of nails to get, ease of use? I know I would appreciate it!!
    I think you did a wonderful job, you should be super proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. regan--thanks! the auto hammer is great! i'm a bit scared of a compressor and nail gun--i think i would probably hurt myself! the automhammer is quite loud--i used earplugs and it woke up my kids who are sound sleepers. it uses regular nails in all sizes and shapes...it does leave marks in the wood, but after i got the hang of it, there weren't as many hammer marks. as for ease--i'm a quadriplegic and i could make it work...enough said!! thanks again for your kind words and for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you rock star? I think so, Steph I have full use of my hands and their is NO WAY i would TRY that kind of cool stuff. I love you and your killer ambition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for sharing your story

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bed looks amazing! Found you from Ana White.com Just had to say you are an inspiration!!! You are exactly where God intended you to be, blessed beyond measure~!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot! Ana has inspired me, too. My husband works overseas but was home for two weeks in August. The only thing I asked him to do around the house on his vacation was teach me how to use the power tools he has! I'm right there with you...perfect is not important, trying is! Your bed looks awesome and I hope your daughter loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found your blog from Anna's facebook page. Your determination and energy and willingness to try amazes me. So inspiring. Sometimes with two little ones I get so tired and worn out. I couldn't even imagine building a bed right now, but you've inspired me to try new things even if I think I can't do it. I am so going to try to build something on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the bed! I've been making a ton of Ana's projects for about 6 months now. I started out with a simple bookshelf then moved onto more difficult projects like the toddler bed for my grandson. It's been an amazingly empowering thing for me. I've learned I can do so much more than I thought I could if I just let go of that fear that holds me back. Thanks for blogging your story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super job, Stephanie! I'm amazed! I love Ana's website, too... it's always inspiring whether it's a new plan, a musing from her cabin or a shout out to someone like you, going above and beyond to create a family treasure. Sounds like we found the website about the same time. I took the summer off from building but am ready to start again soon. Glad you found that great tool to make it easier for you to build! Sanding, too??? That's hard work with two working arms! You are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.... this is AMAZING! I consider myself to be 'crafty' and I'm always making stuff and I have been asking my husband for a new bed for YEARS. Now I'll just have to make it, right?!!!! You're amazingly inspiration... thank you!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing...what an inspiration to start my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are one AMAZING person! I needed to be inspired this morning and you were just the person to do it! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found this post thru Ana's facebook page - AMAZING! You are such an inspiration to just get up and do it (TRY) and quit letting our minds get in the way of us accomplising our goals. Your bed is fabulous and I'm sure that your daughter is extremely proud on the family heirloom that her mother BUILT just for her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your bed! What an inspiration! Thank-you so much for posting the story about the boys carrying a load of hay and having to use faith to go forward. I needed that today and was able to share the story and your insight with my husband who also needed it today. Way to go on fulfilling your life's calling and blessing the live's of many people!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Steph, you rock!!! Your daughter will cherish this bed for years to come because her mama made it for her! You are truly and inspiration! I have a 10-year-old daughter with Cerebral Palsy and limited use of her limbs. I have to teach her to TRY...just as you have done! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I came on over from Ana's site. Wow! You did a wonderful job and are an inspiration to everyone! I have been afraid to do the bed for my daughter but I can't have any excuses now! I have to get over those stupid little fears and go for it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing, I loved reading your post. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. And I thought I did good by making a toodler bed! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is beautiful and your story, inspiring. I now know what I want for Christmas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing. What an inspiring blog post. Just what I needed today. Thank you for uplifting me (even if it wasn't intentional, lol). The bed looks great! I bet your daughter just loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The bed is amazing! You've have always been so inspiring to all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your are truly an inspiration! Ana's site has been a wonderful source of ideas and plans for many of us. Thank you for sharing your story regarding your daughter's beautiful bed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty darned amazing - and beautiful! You are truly and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your story certainly planted a seed in my heart today! You did an amazing job on your daughter's bed. Thanks for sharing. Your story is one I'll have to share with a dear family member.

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW! Can I just say I thank-you and that I think you are amazing? I found you through Ana White's website. I too love Ana, and although I have started painting older furniture and crafting, unlike you I have been too intimidated to actually try building anything. Reading your story and seeing your beautiful bed has inspired me. You have reminded me that I don't know if I can do something unless I first try. Funny how easy it is to tell my kids if they believe it they can achieve it - and how hard it is to follow my own advice. Your children are lucky to have you as their Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are totally inspiring! I must try one of these projects one day!

    Keep up the good work!

    Be Encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Steph- I am so glad to read your story! I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've been building stuff from ana's site too. My sister and I had the idea to make tools more friendly for us to use. I've been scrutinized lately that "why can I build furniture and not work a job outside the house?" You get it! They don't. Building gives me so much satisfaction. I sure hope to see your future builds too!

    I'm so proud of you! You're on my "Read It!" Llst now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. you are amazing! thank you for the inspiration- i have NO MORE EXCUSES!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awe.some. Wow! You did a great job. Thank you for sharing your story...i certainly needed to hear it today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is my first time hearing about you! You are amazing, Steph. The world needs more women with ambition like yours! Have you ever seen/heard of Tomboy Tools? They are ergonomically designed for a women and might be of help to you. If you'd like to see them, here's a link: www.tomboytools.info/lisa
    I'm gonna keep an eye on you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Way to go, Steph! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful bed and beautifully said. Well done! I am going to try something new - right now. Thanks for the much needed motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Stephanie,

    I saw Ana White's post about the wonderful farmhouse bed that you built your daughter & had to share it on my blog.

    It is really inspiring for those of us with limited mobility to see the things that others with disabilities can make.

    I always say that my disability doesn't stop me, it just slows me down. Sometimes. :)

    Here is a link to my post about you on my blog: http://historicalhound.blogspot.com/2010/10/bit-of-inspiration-for-all-of-us.html

    Take care and keep posting your projects.

    ~ Noel

    ReplyDelete
  38. holy crap!!! that bed's amazing!!! awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beyond awesome! While my comfort zone includes the cooking and sewing, my power tool experience hasn't moved outside my one high school woodshop class that I took on a fluke. I remember how empowering it was building things in that class however, and have recently..."considered" shifting my creativity a bit to wood (in addition to my sewing...and cooking...and teaching...), but certainly am leary! Your post was extremely uplifting and inspirational! Many blessings to you superwoman!! -cammie

    ReplyDelete