Wednesday, December 8, 2010

tote bags

the miracle of adoption has blessed my husband and I not once, but three times.  we have three beautiful and strong children who make me smile every day. (just to let you know, they are real children and they make me want to pull my hair out about every other day!)

the miracle behind my children are three beautiful and strong women, whom i don't know.  they are my heroes; they are my children's birth mothers.  because of their  situation, and for what ever reason, each wanted more for their child than they could give.  with the greatest love, lots of faith, and more courage than i could ever imagine, each woman chose our home for their babies to come to. for that, i am eternally grateful!

while each of our adoption experiences were unique, this one in particular was heartbreaking.  we flew to texas the day after or second son was born.  my husband and i got to spend all the time we could with our new son until he was released from the hospital.  we sat in a small room, holding him, snuggling him, feeding him, loving him. there was a small window in the small room. the window looked out to the foyer of the hospital. throughout the day i watched many people come and go as we sat enjoying the newest member of our family.

the time was getting closer to when we could leave the hospital and start our new life.  as i was rocking my sweet baby, i happened to look up and out the small window.  what i saw still brings tears to my eyes.  there she was, the beautiful birth mother of my son, leaving the hospital, alone in a taxi.  she had no support, no one to help her, no one to tell her everything was going to be o.k.  i blew her a kiss and waved, as a tear rolled down each of our cheeks.  and then she was gone.

i tell you this story because of something i was involved in this last week.  I got a letter from the adoption agency who helped us bring home our third child.  they were soliciting help for a wonderful idea.   a new beginning adoption agency puts together bags to give to their birth mothers so they won't leave the hospital alone.  inside these bags are lotion and skin care products, a journal and pen, and a beautiful bracelet made just for them.  what was needed was the actual bag: a tote bag made with love.

because of my disability and paralysis (spinal cord injury from a car accident) i cannot sew with a sewing machine. (sometimes i think maybe i should try, but then i see in my mind, an out-of-control sewing machine and my fingers sewn together with some material attached to them. then i stop thinking maybe i should try!) i wanted to help, and in some little way, give back to my heroes. but how? the idea came to my mind to embellish all-ready-sewn tote bags.  so off to the many blogs to figure out how to make fabric flowers and to get some ideas.  here's what me and my wonderful niece (who helped me decorate totes for three days--thanks karen!) came up with:








i'm an amateur crafter.  i like to make and create things.  i'm positive there are other bags that are more beautiful or look more professional or are more elaborate and detailed.  one thing i do know is these totes bags were made with all the love in my heart...for my heroes.



if you would like more information, please contact:  http://www.adoptanewbeginning.org/

4 comments:

  1. DUDE.....KNOW WAY! That is so cool and I really think that you are one of the most talented people I know....serious. I love you and I hope you have a Merry Christmas. Know that you have a huge fan in the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,
    So glad im on your blog! You are an inspiration to me! In fact I am teaching the YW sunday on Optimism and i am going to tell them about you..is that ok? I really wish you would just come and speak to my YW :) You ROCK! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been awarded The Versatile Blogger award! http://jehanisnotsupermom.blogspot.com/2011/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete